Both peppers and tomato are helpful in fighting fatigue. The following recipe – Peppers stuffed with savory Spanish rice, topped with a mild tomato sauce – includes both vegetables.
Stuffed Peppers (serves 6)
- 6 green peppers, medium size
- 3 cups savory Spanish rice (see below)
- 1 cup tomato sauce (see below)
Wash peppers, core them. Chop the pepper seeds finely and mix them with the savory rice (unless you are saving the seeds for next year’s crop). Steam peppers for 20 minutes, then fill them with savory rice, half a cup per pepper. Place in a casserole, top with tomato sauce, and bake for 45 minutes, or until tender, at 350F.
Savory Spanish Rice
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1/4 lb. lean ground round
- 1/2 cup raw brown rice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups of tomato, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
Sautee onion and pepper, brown the beef and drain. Mix sauteed vegetables and beef, then add all other ingredients. Bring mixture to a boil, stir, reduce heat, then let simmer for 40-60 minutes or until the rice is tender. Stir often as it will stick otherwise, and remove the bay leaf before filling the rice into the peppers.
Mild Tomato Sauce
- 1 cup canned or self made tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp onion, finely diced
- 3/4 tbsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic clove, finely diced
Mix all ingredients and bring sauce to a boil, then reduce heat and let it simmer for about 10 minutes. Top stuffed peppers with the sauce before baking.